This property is NOT free for HHA Friends
You are here: > home

Clementi House


This property is NOT free for HHA Friends
128 Kensington Church Street, London, W8 4BH
tel:
0207 229 4098

Clementi House was the London home of Muzio Clementi (1752-1832), composer, pianist, and ‘Father of the Pianoforte’, in the words of the composer’s plaque in Westminster Abbey (where he is buried), during the second and third decades of the 19th century. One of the forte-pianos manufactured by Clementi’s company at that period is the front hall of Clementi House and tuned to a playable (if not performable) condition, with its original strings.

Through Clementi’s presence, the house became the musical ‘home’ in London of the young Felix Mendelssohn (1809-47), who visited the house daily during his prolonged London visits 1830-33. It was then the home of composer William Horsley (1774-1858) and his musical family, with whom Mendelssohn performed home-made operas in the drawing-room. Mendelssohn was present at the betrothal in the house of Horsley’s daughter Mary to Isambard Kingdom Brunel, for which couple the composer dashed off a song. Its unpublished manuscript remains in the house till this day.

Brunel is commemorated in the house with a copy of his portrait by Mary’s brother John Horsley RA, who is himself represented by original oil paintings and his wife’s engraved signature on a window pane.

Clementi House opened to the public formally in 2014 for the cultural and musical tourist as a shrine to Muzio Clementi, known to countless pianists throughout the world as the composer of the pianistic manual, Gradus Ad Parnassum, used to this day by aspiring pianists in their fourth and fifth years. A selection of Clementi’s works were performed by pianist Peter Roper-Curzon at the opening public recital in the house on December 10th, 2014, with soprano Caroline Johnson performing songs by Mendelssohn.

Clementi House was visited by many other outstanding musicians of the period, including Chopin, Bellini, Joachim, and Ignaz Moscheles.

Clementi House is owned by the Clementi House Trust (established 1983) with its care and custodianship entrusted to the resident Stacey family. Now 128 Kensington Church Street, the house was built in 1737 as No. 1 High Row, Church Lane, and comprises some 25 rooms including spacious music/drawing room, dining room, parlour, library, master bedroom and several others, all with traditional furnishing and décor, gallery, studio, kitchens, two staircases, roof garden, private ground-level garden

Film Locations

Yes, the property is widely available for film, TV and photography shoots. Clementi House has been used for film and still shoots, music promos and fashion photo shoots.

'The Swimming Pool' (2003)
Walk with Me. A Victorian Ghost Story by Michael Roberts (2014) for Manolo Blahnik New York Fashion Week

Groups and special visits

Musical tours for the visiting public are arranged throughout 2015 on February 7, April 6, May 4, September 12, December 12 and 19.

Visits to be made by prior arrangement only.

Tailor Made Facilities

Visits to HouseYes
Visits to GardenNo
Other EventsNo
Light RefreshmentsNo
LunchNo
DinnerNo

Contact Details

Phone:
020 7229 4098

Additional Information
Open for visits
Also available at:
Clementi House
More Information
Nearby HHA Properties
Royal Hospital Chelsea (2  miles)
Spencer House (2  miles)
Emery Walker's House (2  miles)
Fitzroy House (2  miles)
Fulham Palace (2  miles)