This property is NOT free for HHA Friends
Whitminster House is listed Grade II* and is a charming example of a family home that has evolved over the centuries.
The Manor dates from Saxon times and is mentioned in Domesday Book. It was reputedly confiscated by Maud, wife of William the Conqueror, from the Saxon thegn Brictric in revenge for a slight. Subsequently owned by the Earls of Hereford, in 1288 it was a Manor House described as ‘the Lord’s Court’, and in 1336 it was known as a ‘Chief House’ with a courtyard. In 1347 Humphrey de Bohun sought the King’s permission to fortify it. Having passed by marriage to Thomas of Woodstock, Duke of Gloucester, after 1402 it was assigned to the estate of Henry V as part of his Duchy of Lancaster. From here it was owned by Edward IV and subsequently the ill-fated Richard III, who granted it to Henry Stafford, Duke of Buckingham. Upon the latter’s rebellion and execution the manorial estate was divided between two lessees.
Whitminster House, sometimes called the manor of Wheatenhurst, was leased by various local notables during the 16th and 17th centuries until in 1721 it was bought by Nathaniel Cambridge. His son, Richard Owen Cambridge, was an esteemed poet in his day, the friend of Alexander Pope and, latterly, Frederick, Prince of Wales. Richard carried out most of the 18th Century improvements to the house, including the panelled library. His main contribution to the estate was an ambitious landscaping of the gardens and grounds to include neo-classical temples and grottoes, attracting many visitors. Sadly, little evidence of these remain. Richard’s reconstruction into a navigable waterway of five miles of the River Frome which flowed through his land became the foundation of the Stroudwater canal.
The Teesdale family (among whose ancestors the redoubtable Maud features) bought Whitminster House in 1882, undertook the Victorian additions, and live there still.
Whitminster House is a mile beyond the village of Whitminster in the valley of the River Severn. It is located only 7 miles from Stroud, 9 miles from Gloucester’s cathedral and docks, 18 miles from the Spa town of Cheltenham and 28 miles from Bristol.
Whitminster House benefits from easy access via road (junction 13 of the M5 is 2 miles away), rail (Stonehouse station is 4 miles) and air (Bristol Airport is under an hour at 38 miles).
We can offer disabled parking by the house and there are accessible toilets. One of the self-catering cottages is specifically designed to accommodate disabled guests with level access throughout.
Whitminster House has featured in various films and programmes over the years, including BBC1’s recent Victorian Gothic drama ‘The Living and the Dead’ (2016)
Details of film location and features:
Whitminster House is located within 10 acres of private garden and grove (not overlooked by other properties) with ample parking for vehicles and trailers. It has a Victorian walled Kitchen Garden with lavatories, access to water and electricity supplies and a lawned space for marquees or gazebos. A large room of the Old Stables kitchen can provide under cover catering options for cast and crew.
If desired, Whitminster House Estate offers self-catering accommodation in a selection of 7 period cottages plys the West Wing of the Manor House, sleeping up to 50
Examples of past productions:
Black Hearts in Battersea (1995)
The Living and the Dead (2016)
Groups and special visits
By pre-arranged appointment only.
Tailor Made Facilities
|Visits to House||Yes|
|Visits to Garden||No|