This property is NOT free for HHA Friends
You are here: > home

Kentchurch Court


This property is NOT free for HHA Friends
Pontrilas, Hereford, Herefordshire, HR2 0DB
tel:
01981 240228

Kentchurch Court has been the seat of the Scudamore's since the 11th century. Ralph Scudamore, the first recorded member of the family, to come over from Normandy, arrived in Ewyas Harold in 1052, where he built a castle for Edward the Confessor. The Tower, with its Saxon foundations, provided the first dwelling for the family. The majority of the medieval building took place in the 14th century.

John Scudamore MP employed John Nash, using Anthony Keck's designs, to modernise the house in 1795. The work was completed by Thomas Tudor in 1825. Unfortunately, the house was flooded by a freak storm in 1959. Resulting in the demolition, of the old kitchen, dairy and laundry.

Family portraits by Sir Peter Lely, Marcus Gheeraerdts and Thomas Lawrence adorn the Dining Room Walls. Kentchurch Court houses the largest collection of Grinling Gibbon carvings in private ownership.

The garden can be divided between the rhododendron wood, the herbaceous borders, the vegetable garden and the newly created walled garden. Hopefully, the visitor to Kentchurch will find something of interest throughout the season.

Film Locations

Please contact Kentchurch Court for details

Groups and special visits

Available

No visit to a garden is complete without a cup of tea and a slice of “home made” cake. Lunches and teas can be provided for pre-booked groups visiting Kentchurch Court.

Tailor Made Facilities

Visits to HouseYes
Visits to GardenYes
Other EventsYes
Light RefreshmentsYes
LunchYes
DinnerYes

Contact Details

Contact:
Jan Lucas-Scudamore
Address:
Kentchurch Court
near Pontrilas
Town:
Hereford
Postcode:
HR2 0DB
Phone:
01981 240228


Visit www.kentchurchcourt.co.uk for more information

Additional Information
Group and Special Visits
Also available at:
Kentchurch Court
More Information
Nearby HHA Properties
Treago (4  miles)
Llanvihangel Court (6  miles)
Treowen (9  miles)
Cornwall House (9  miles)
Wilton Castle (10  miles)