This property is NOT free for HHA Friends
You are here: > home

Ilmington Manor


This property is NOT free for HHA Friends
Ilmington , Warwickshire, CV36 4LA
tel:
01608 682230

NB this property does not offer free access to HHA Friends and Members.

Ilmington Manor is a rambling Elizabethan Cotswold stone manor house, built 1590-1600 for Sir Thomas Andrew.

The Andrew family seem to be of great antiquity in Northamptonshire. The family name is normally recorded as Andrew, but the usage varied with individuals and is also commonly given as Andrewes and Andrews, and the baronets seem often to have used the plural form. Thomas Andrew (d. 1541) of Charwelton was succeeded by his son, Sir Thomas Andrew (d. 1564), who like his grandfather married twice, and confusingly christened the eldest son of both his marriages Thomas. The elder Thomas Andrew (c.1541-94) inherited the Charwelton estate and also Winwick Manor, which his father bought, and where he built a new manor house in the 1560s which became his principal seat. The two estates passed to his son, Sir Eusebius Andrew (c.1579-1619), who sold Winwick in the 1610s, and Charwelton descended to his son, Edward Andrew (fl. 1646), who however sold it before the Civil War. The other Thomas Andrew (d. 1609) inherited property at Longdon (Worcs.) and also the 1200 acre manor of Ilmington (Warks.) which his father had bought in 1550, and having demolished the remains of the old de Montfort manor house, proceeded to erect the current Manor house on a site 100 yards further away from the Church of St Mary the Virgin. Ilmington, probably with Longdon which is very close by, passed to his son, Sir John Andrew alias Andrewes (fl. 1603-49), who, moving to London, sold it in 1615 to Sir Baptist Hicks who was made a peer on May 5th, 1628, by Charles I by the titles of Baron Hicks of Ilmington in the county of Warwick, and Viscount Campden of Campden in the county of Gloucester.

Ilmington Manor house went through several families over the next two hundred years. The Lordship of the manor currently residing with the Howard of Corby, Cumbria, family (hence the Howard Arms pub in the village).The Manor house itself, having been let out for many years, fell into neglect in the 19th century until it was bought by a Judge Evans in the 1890s who, having started restoring the property, suddenly died in his courtroom. His widow sold the house to the current owner's grandfather, Spenser Flower, a member of the Stratford on Avon brewing family, in 1919. Since then the thirty-room house and its gardens have been beautifully restored.

Location

8 miles south of Stratford on Avon. 8 miles north of Moreton in Marsh. 4 miles from Chipping Campden.

Ilmington Manor occupies 12 acres in the centre of Ilmington, a hillside north Cotswold village of great antiquity and charm.

Film Locations

Past productions:
'Owen, M.D' BBC
'Father Brown' BBC1

Groups and special visits

Open by special arrangement only. To arrange an appointment please contact us by email.

The gardens have been opened for charity,and by special appointment for over seventy years.The house is open for historical societies only by appointment.

Tailor Made Facilities

Visits to HouseNo
Visits to GardenYes
Other EventsNo
Light RefreshmentsNo
LunchNo
DinnerNo

Contact Details

Contact:
Martin Taylor Esq
Address:
Ilmington Manor
Ilmington
County:
Warwickshire
Postcode:
CV36 4LA
Phone:
01608 682230

Additional Information
Open for visits
Also available at:
Ilmington Manor
More Information
Visits to Gardens Only
Nearby HHA Properties
Kiftsgate Court Gardens (2  miles)
Honington Hall (3  miles)
Alscot Park (4  miles)
Sezincote (7  miles)
Barton House (7  miles)