This property is free for HHA Friends
NB: this property offers free access (NB: gardens only) to HHA Friends - see opening times.
This magnificent Jacobean house has a history that reaches back into the 16th century, when it belonged to the Powdrills, a Roman Catholic family who lost their home and lands through their involvement in the regicidal Babington Plot. Remains of the ancient Powdrill house can still be seen in the wall timbers, a Priest's hiding hole and a secret staircase, leading up to what was the Powdrill family chapel.
In 1605, the Pigott family took over Thrumpton. They were both ambitious and politically amoral; and transformed the Powdrill manor house into a spectacular showpiece, to create a magnificent carved staircase and an exquisite double-cube reception room overlooking his formal garden. Ambition ruined the Pigotts; in 1685, the house was taken over by their lawyer, Mr Emerton.
In the 1820's, the house and lands underwent a significant transformation. Mr John Emerton spent what was then the enormous sum of seventy thousand pounds on improvements: these included creating a beautiful lake that lies in front of the house. The pavilion which now stands to the west of the house, looks towards Mr Emerton's lake; beyond it, lies the celebrated 350 acre park which he and his descendants landscaped and planted with rare specimen trees, including several magnificent Lebanon cedars.
In 1838, the house was inherited by Mr Emerton's 16 year old niece, whose marriage to Lord Byron brought many fascinating Byron relics to the house. Thrumpton Hall became a welcoming home to the poet Byron's daughter, Ada, Countess of Lovelace, on her visits to Nottinghamshire. Lord Byron's nephew (the 10th Lord Byron) was succeeded by his nephew, George Fitzroy Seymour, father of the present owner. George and the Hon. Rosemary Seymour (a sister of the 8th Lord Howard de Walden) devoted some fifty years to the restoration and preservation of this beloved family home.
Much of Thrumpton’s glory lies in its spectacular two acres of landscaped gardens. The Elizabeth knot garden, hidden away behind a spectacular wall of sculpted yews and is shaded by a magnolia grandiflora. The front of the house leads out into a formal rose garden, bordered by peonies, lilies and delphiniums. Long vistas of lawn lead out towards a concealed wall (a ha-ha), beyond which extends a seamless
Situated on the A453 just 4 miles from J24 of the M1 motorway and only a few miles from Nottingham city centre.
Visitor Opening Times
2017: gardens open May-Oct, Weds 2-4pm.
House tours with the owner every first Monday of the month at 11.15am (£15, no concessions).
Please note that these opening times are correct to the best of the HHA’s knowledge, as advised by the property. Opening times may change and a property may very occasionally need to close at short notice. We therefore recommend you check with the property before your visit, by phone or on the property’s website, especially if your journey is likely to be a long one.
Disabled access and toilets are available and extensive parking facilities.
Groups and special visits
Open by appointment throughout the year. Groups of (20+) 10.30am-6pm. Individuals are welcome but there is a set fee, for any number between 1 and 10 people.
Tailor Made Facilities
|Visits to House||Yes|
|Visits to Garden||Yes|